Spa best practices in 2017 for profitability and strategy start with this easy list. Walt Disney once said, “The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.” What will you be doing in the upcoming year to create success, limit stress and grow your vision?
- Take Inventory. Literally take inventory of your backbar and retail goods. Find out what is selling and what is simply gathering dust in the front of the house. In the spa portion of your facility take note of supply waste. Look for sanitation best practices. Look at your linens costs and pare back on those categories that are costing you.
- Renew with a fresh leadership delivery. Even habits that serve you well grow stale. Reinvigorate your management style with a fresh way to communicate with your team. Try monthly coaching sessions for your departments and key personnel. Catch your team members doing things right and reward them with cash in hand or a gift certificate with their next paycheck.
- Implement self-care for your practitioners. Offer fresh juice in the mornings and ease mid-afternoon exhaustion with some Matcha tea. Consider offering a mid-day break every day for your team to reset, nourish and hydrate.
- Re-think your menu. If your treatment menu reads like “War and Peace” start slashing. Cut out treatments that are overly complicated and don’t sell. Cut out services that require a fortune to pull off in the treatment room. Cut out treatments that your staff hate to offer.
- Reset your marketing efforts. Be bold and value minded. Remember that small ads that are repetitious can be more cost effective and just as powerful as large 4 color print ads. Expand your social media efforts. Generate a tagline for next year and include it in everything. Measure advertising success by coding each ad and campaign.
Take those gift certificate sale opportunities and expand your reach with new treatments, new best practices and new inventory. Allow your spa to shine in 2017!